USC developed and perfected the bulk site process. The streamlined approach provides experience and equipment from start to finish.
A growing seed treating operation is both exciting and overwhelming, and often times, comes with a plethora of decisions to be made for the business. One of the most important of these decisions is determining when, and if, your business is ready to take seed treating to the next level – going from a stand-alone, box-to-box set-up to a full-blown, bulk or bin site operation.
USC has been the industry’s single-source provider for seed treating equipment, automation and service throughout the company’s 23-year history, and during that time has continually provided seamless experiences for customers with common to complicated configurations
Over the years, we’ve learned a thing or two! Our full-service team has adapted the way we execute and upgrade treating sites, and has compiled some of our customer’s frequently-asked questions, along with a brief overview of what to expect if you’re curious about how the transition to a bulk site works, but don’t take our word for it!
Ryan Hammes of Hammes Seed in Seneca, Kansas has been a loyal USC customer since 2006 when he purchased his first LP2000 treater. Since then, Mr. Hammes’ business has grown, and USC has grown right alongside! In 2009, he “went bulk” and after another expansion in 2020, his operation currently boasts seven seed bins with a high-capacity, LPV treater with the loss-in-weight metering method and USC’s patented Tri-Flo®.
“We went with USC again because of the reputation and our personal experience with service and support – not to mention the enhancements to the treating equipment over the years were significant enough to justify the upgrade and expansion to the system. It was a smooth transition and the software automation is simple and easy to understand and operate.” — Ryan Hammes, Hammes Seed, Seneca, Kansas.
THE USC APPROACH:
- SINGLE-SOURCE PROVIDER: A USC representative visits each site to determine site-specific products.
- LPX or LPV seed treater
- TS conveyor(s)
- USC U-Treat automation
- Tri-Flo® continuous treating
- Seed wheel
- Weigh belt
- Stainless steel pump stand(s)
- Poly mix tank(s)
- Bin fill conveyor(s)
- Under bin conveyor(s)
- Truck unload conveyor(s)
- Field loader conveyor(s)
- Batch/weigh hopper(s)
- Box dump or re-bag hopper(s)
- Vibrating hopper(s)
- Miscellaneous equipment
- Miscellaneous parts
- CUSTOM CAD BY USC ENGINEERS: USC builds and reviews completed drawings, price quotes and quote clarification sheets with each customer. Questions, concerns and site layout changes are addressed to ensure exact requirements are met. Once approved, a final CAD rendering is produced with electrical schematics and bin site programming. On average, customers receive equipment six to eight weeks after final design is approved.
- BULK SITE INSTALLATION: Once the completed order arrives, a USC installation crew is on-site to correctly install all USC equipment.
- BULK SITE START-UP & TRAINING: Once electrical power is successfully supplied to the site, a certified USC equipment specialist arrives to conduct the official start-up. Customers are responsible for arranging a qualified scale technician to certify the scales and make legal for trade in the jurisdiction.
USC provides a training specialist to visit the site before treating seed for the first time who will properly train each customer on USC’s single point automation, educate on USC’s best practices and how to take advantage of all the added benefits USC products offer.
SINGLE POINT AUTOMATION: USC’s U-Treat automation platform is the most intuitive, user-friendly and efficient software for any-sized treating operation. Some of the benefits include:
- USC U-Treat automation – controls bin site, treater and accessories.
- Touchscreen single control panel for entire site.
- Custom bin site panel configuration for each site.
- Bin inventory and tracking system.
- Customer reporting ability with receipt printer.
- Run batch by seed weight or seed count units.
- Operate in metric or standard units.
- Auto calibration of bin site.
HOW DO I KNOW WHICH TYPE OF EQUIPMENT BEST FITS MY OPERATION?
We always evaluate each business, along with the needs of their customers, to create a complete and customized site based on your business model and goals for future growth.
CAN “GOING BULK” MAKE MY BUSINESS MORE EFFICIENT?
Yes! Our equipment streamlines and automates the treating process from bins to tender, efficiently syncing equipment, storing recipes and customer data, and creating/exporting reports.
IS LOSS-IN-WEIGHT THE ONLY WAY TO METER SEED THROUGH A SEED TREATER?
No! We offer multiple metering methods including a true, continuous flow option with the weigh belt, and the tried and true seed wheel in addition to the loss-in-weight method.
ANDY HEIDEMAN USC, LLC, Corporate Accounts Manager
• Manages USC Service and Sales functions.
• Facilitates and manages strategic corporate programs ensuring USC products and processes work for all.
• Strengthens and maintains relationships between USC, corporate partners and end-users.